Juice bottle banks are ever popular because there is so much you can do to make them personal. We used 2 qt size bottles with 16 oz water bottles for the cowboy. First we covered the bottle with school glue then slipped on a lunch sized paper bag and patted it on securely. For the horse we added a mane and tail, for the long horn we added horns. We tried to get ears on to all of them but some are earless. We had large wiggle eyes to use this time but could have drawn on eyes or used felt cuts.
For the cowboy we got creative with our donated materials--paper mache eggs glued into bottle caps make the head secure. The bottle cap is then glued to the bottle cap and a hat added to complete the illusion of a cowboy. We pulled out the fabric bin and everyone dressed them as they wished. We even had jute rope available for the lasso! One of the horses has his rider mounted on his back using an egg cup section to attach him.
Very creative group here each week. This is a fun was for families to work on something together without the frustration of "what do I do next" or the mess.
Monday, March 28, 2011
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
This is a fun and easy kite and it probably won't really fly. Well, to kids all kites fly and they wanted to prove it at the end of the class. These are more the "run with it" kind of kites but that is what most kids do. This kite requires no cutting, only folding and gluing. I marked it in advance for the class. We did the same kite in the 1st grade the previous day with great results as well. I used legal size card stock for the kite and ribbons of stiff tissue paper for the tail. We did add a thin dowel at the cross point to hold on to. On a couple of the kites we had to make a ribbon handhold as the kids taped down the whole dowel from side to side.
Saturday, March 5, 2011
We had lots of Mardi Gras beads and sequins to use, a few jewels, and of course, feathers. Some of the parents were reluctant to use lots of glue but assurances that it takes a lot to hold the beads on won out. We cut the long strands of beads to fit the spaces or the border and went from there. Every one of the masks is unique and were really fun to make.