This was definately a project that got wows and oohs and aahs! We started with large sheets of heavy watercolor paper (120 lbs) and student tube pigments. Everyone traced around wooden leaves with the direction to have the overlap. Then the fun began.
We used foam brushes to wet the paper which was actually hard for some of the group. They kept wanting to take a paper towel and blot the water back off the page. Once they started adding a bit of color though, everything changed. Showing them how to make the color run by moving the paper and push it around with a brush turned them into Jack Frosts. Finally we used pallete knives to scratch in veins which got more oohs and aahs.